[linux-dvb] DVB USB device driver

Hi folks,

two weeks ago Twinhan provided me with an Alpha USB2.0-only DVB-T stick
(VP7045) and specs for that device-type (thanks to Jennifer, Jeff and
Jack). MagicBox II (VP7046) is identical.

At a first glance it seemed, that it would be easy to add it to the
dibusb-driver by just doing "some" quirks. It turned out to be the
quirk-hell... unreadable code was the result.

So I dropped the idea, but I still wanted to take benefit of the
generic DVB-/ URB-/ I2C-/ input-/ firmware-stuff done in dibusb. I
shouted: 'it is time for a dvb-usb-lib-module.' :).

In dvb-kernel/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb one can find what came
out after two days of work. Currently the dvb-usb-lib and an (working)
example-driver for the mentioned devices above can be found in it. (Remote
control code is not ready yet).

IMHO dvb-usb is a good basis to add support for new USB devices, because
it's modular, flexible and extendable.

The other goal is to rewrite all dibusb-drivers and the cinergyT2-driver
to use the dvb-usb-lib. I don't know if it make sense to rewrite the
ttusb-drivers to use dvb-usb-lib...? The flexcop-usb-driver already takes
benefit of the abstract flexcop-device, so there should be no need to move
it to dvb-usb.

I invite everyone to comment and to help extending the dvb-usb-lib.

thanks for your attention,
Patrick.

--
   Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx