[linux-dvb] [patch] dvb-bt8xx cleanup

On Friday 11 March 2005 09:16, you wrote:
> Kenneth Aafl?y wrote:
> > I've attached a patch for dvb-bt8xx that I wish to commit.
> >
> > I've moved the card specific bttv cruft out of the dst frontend module,
> > so that it can be moved to the other frontends.
>
> Kenneth, the dst is not a frontend and moving it to other frontends will
> "hinder" the functionality of the card. The frontend is hardware based,
> and *no* software drivers for it AFAIK, nor the manufacturer. It is very
> much card specific and hence the structure.

The dst code certainly registers a frontend device, so hence it's a frontend.
It's not embedded on the bt878 either, so the possibility of it appearing
in concert with another chip is at least not impossible.

> > Made bt878.c be part of the dvb-bt8xx-pci driver, since there are no other
> > users of this module, at least as far as I know.
> >

> I created a twinhan-exp branch on the CVS and plan to move the
> development over there ..
> There are dst specific parts in the dvb-bt8xx module as it is a 878
> based card, and not being a frontend, moving *any* dst specific code out
> of dvb-bt8xx would make my work irrelevant.

You should have a look at the budget-core driver and the associated
sub drivers, they all do the same as this.

> It is very difficult for people to understand the driver, *without
> knowing what the hardware is*. The changes that was happening quite
> often, made my work *very difficult on the dst module*, especially
> frontend refactoring.

Ok, It's only an hour of work, let me know when I can start poking the
driver again..

> I wasted quite a lot of time to get the module working *properly* at
> least for me, after fe refactoring....
>
> I don't want to have the burden of a very expensive mistake again....

Well, it's going to happen, the driver is very messy compared to the other pci
drivers.

Kenneth