[linux-dvb] I have PIDs, whats next?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:45:25PM -0700, clemens@xxxxxxx wrote:
>         azap -r <chan-name>
>         dvbscan -cvvv
>
> and have some output showing the PIDs available on each channel in this area
> (at least at this time of night)
>
> What do I do with them?
>
> Do I modify the channels.conf file making multiple lines for each channel,
> each with a pair of PIDs?  If so, I would assume that I need to come up with
> unique names for each line, like KNME-DT1 and KNME-DT2.  Is that correct,
> or as usual have I got it all wrong?

Yes, you do need unique names. You can get channels.conf format directly
from dvbscan by using the switch '-o zap'.

> OK, next question.
> How do I get this information (the PIDs) into MythTV?
> There is no obvious place for it in the screens that I bring up.
>
> Or does it come in thru 'name' given to a channel and a cross reference into
> the (modified as above) channels.conf file???

Nope. MythTV doesn't store the PIDs any more, and you don't need to
enter them. Assuming you have 0.17.

What you need to do is go into the channel editor, then select Advanced.
Add a new multiplex (transmitter), and give it the frequency and be sure
to select ATSC or 8VSB mode or whatever it's called.

Then go back to the main channel editor section and do a full scan of
existing transports. Then it will find out the services that are
available on that transmitter.

> If the above is anywhere close to being right, which of these two has to
> agree with the name in channels.conf?

Myth doesn't read channels.conf.

Best to ask about the Myth part of this on the mythtv-users list.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@xxxxxxxxxx> <hamish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>