[linux-dvb] Writing DVB Software - couple questions

From: "Hamish Moffatt" <hamish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I think that's rubbish. Each DVB vendor card has their own drivers and
> API. They supply TV viewing software and you are stuck with it; you
> can't switch to another vendor's TV watching app.

That's not true anymore. The "BDA minidriver" model is becoming
increasingly established on the Windows platform, and there are already
several PVR applications which can use BDA drivers (e.g. ShowShifter).

> On linux, there's a standard DVB API which means that any application
> can work with any card. There's several cards and several applications
> (Xine, MPlayer, KaxTV, MythTV, VDR, Freevo).

Well, the "BDA minidriver" model is not perfect (the expected behavior of
drivers is not precisely specified, the architecture is not as fully
implemented as documented, etc). So, like it or not, the situation is
actually quite similar to the one on Linux - the API is not quite where it
should be, but at least it's "working".

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach