[linux-dvb] What is __user in dvb_apps ???

> clemens@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > What is this in /include/linux/dvb/osd.h
> >
> >         void __user *data;
> >
> > and in /include/linux/dvb/video.h
> >
> >         char __user *iFrame;
> >
> > I dont understnd what __user is suposed to be (it doesnt appear anywhere else)
> > and neither does the compiler...
>
> __user is annotation for the sparse code checking tool
>
> > Where is this thing (supposed to be) defined?
>
> in linux/compiler.h
>
> If your glibc is pretty old (i.e. comes with old versions of the
> kernel include files) then you have a problem. I added a workaround
> to dvb-apps CVS (add -D__user to CFLAGS).

Well then, this usage would seem to be a bug in dvb_apps.

I now see __user defined in the KERNEL include/linux/compile.h file for
linux2.6.9 but it is not in the user area include/linux/compile.h for
either Fedora2 or Fedora3.

That being the case, either it shouldnt be used in dvb_apps, or it
should be defined somewhere in one of the dvb_apps include files
(or dvb_apps should link to the kernel files).

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@xxxxxxx