[linux-dvb] [RFC]

-----Original Message-----
From: Manu Abraham [mailto:manu@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 4:37 PM
To: Hari_Mohan
Cc: linux-dvb
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] [RFC]

?

> such that this information can be used to identify cases where we have
> problems in the TS.. ?
> since under the Linux DVB API, we don't have an exact solution for
> discontinuity, and TS errors to a 100% effectiveness, would these flags
> be useful for solving that problem ?
>
> For a particular DVB card, i can get these signals out from the frontend
> to the card and the driver.. So, considering that aspect if i get these
> flags out, i was wondering whether it would be possible to have a
> solution for the latter errors..
>
> That was the query that i had in my mind..
> ********************
>
> The error bit which I am speaking about is the signal which is given by
> demodulator or a receiver device once it finds that input ts packet is
Yes, that's the one what i was referring to..

> errored. But the discontinuity indicator which you refered is inside the
> transport stream - so these information which are inside stream are
inserted
> from the stream generator (encoder/mux) and I don't think that tuner will
be
> reading this data to give the error signal/flag.

What i was thinking was that if the demodulator detects a broken stream
and or inconsistencies, this would also result in broken TS's and CRC
failures.

> For discontinuity in transport stream you can tweak software or add some
> patches but for errored input signal indication I don't think anything can

Some patches have already gone in regarding broken streams, but that
still doesn't seem to solve all the issues.
That only made me think in this aspect, as well as the availability of
these flags. These cards do not feature a MPEG decoder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't have much idea about v4l drivers but still if you can tell me the
issues I can try some suggestions. If you are trying to record videos then
you can avoid the bad vid pes packets. But if you are playing a video
realtime you may face problems.

Hari
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> be done other than making satellite/cable reception proper.

So do you mean to say that these falgs can be helpful only for MPEG
decoders and so on ?
When we are doing Software MPEG decoding, rather than Hardware doing it,
would it be possible to make use of these flags ?

Do you have APIs which give access to these flags. If you have it then the
possibility can be explored. Which is the video codec s/w used in this?

Hari