Re: Driver for Magewell PCIe capture cards

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 12:44:46PM +0100, Will Manley wrote:
> Hi There
>
> Magewell are a manufacturer of video-capture devices.  They have both
> USB and PCIe devices.  The USB devices use the upstream uvcvideo driver
> and Magewell currently provide proprietary drivers for their PCIe
> products.
>
> http://www.magewell.com/
>
> I've approached Magewell about having upstream Linux drivers for these
> PCIe devices and they are open to sharing hardware documentation and the
> sources to their proprietary drivers under an NDA for the purpose of
> developing an upstream Linux driver.  This is where I'm hoping that the
> linux driver project can help out.
>
> My interest in this is that I want to be using Magewell PCIe capture
> cards in my company's products ( https://stb-tester.com/ ), but I don't
> want to be stuck with proprietary drivers.  I'm hoping I can facilitate
> because I have some limited kernel developer experience, but I wouldn't
> be confident enough to write an entire v4l driver myself.
>
> Please let me know what additional information I can provide to get this
> process started.

That's great, thanks for working to get the specs for these.

I suggest resending this to the linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing
list.  The developers there should be able to help you out better than
we can as the number of v4l developers here are pretty slim.

If you don't get any response there, let me know and I'll go poke people
individually.

thanks,

greg k-h