network driver issues

Dear all,

I try adapting a network driver (net/ethernet/xilinx/ll_temac) for my needs, but I'm not sure I understand the issues involved.

Maybe someone of you could point me in the right directions?

For instance, does the *skb structure passed to the start_xmit function has to be freed by the network driver in any case? I.e. not calling dev_kfree_skb(skb) anywhere in the driver is a bug?

I'm a bit confused about the need for locking tx-buffers (for SG-dma). Somewhere (in the comments for another driver) I've read the calls to start_xmit are serialised anyway? And then clearing the dma tx buffer in the tx_irq should be fine because it should not get interrupted?

Could you maybe recommend a simple "role model" net/ethernet/ driver I should have a look at? One which implements a locked tx buffer (in case you think that's needed at all)

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,
Jan