Re: Using vme_tsi148 device driver from user space

On 21/11/11 03:02, Zvi Vered wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not a developer and I need help on staging/vme/bridges.
> So please bare with me.
>
> My Core2Duo x86 target contains a TSI148 PCI to VME bridge.
> In Kernel configuration I set CONFIG_VME_TSI148=y
>
> Duding boot, this device is initiated and registered.
>
> But after 'mdev -s' there is no new device in /dev .
>
> The vme_tsi148.c does not contain an IOCTL section. Only .probe,.remove.
>
> So how (on earth !) can I open a new master window ?

The VME bridge drivers do not provide a user space API. They register with the
VME core, which provides a kernel space API. This API is documented in
"drivers/staging/vme/vme_api.txt".

> What major+minor numbers should I use for mknod ?

If you are using udev, the device nodes will be automatically created.

> How can I access the VME using this driver ?

Using the in kernel API.

> Must I use CONFIG_VME_USER=y also ?

Tf you want access from user space, that module provides some basic access to
the VME bus.

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch (Lead Software Engineer)  | Registered in England and Wales
GE Intelligent Platforms               | (3828642) at 100 Barbirolli Square