Re: staging: android: ion: aligned allocation support

On 10/03/2018 01:03 PM, Alexey Skidanov wrote:

On 10/03/2018 09:07 PM, Laura Abbott wrote:
On 10/02/2018 07:27 AM, Alexey Skidanov wrote:
Hi,

Sometimes HW requires memory buffer to be aligned in order to be used
properly.  Of course, we may overcome the lack of aligned allocation
support, but we may easily add it because CMA and gen_pool (used by
several heaps) already support it.

Does someone have an objection to add it?

Thanks,
Alexey

The alignment option was removed from the allocation API before
because the most common heap (system heap) didn't support it
and it was causing more confusion. We've already mangled the
ABI once so I really don't want to break it again. I'm not
opposed to adding alignment support for the CMA via the allocation
flags.
Currently, the flags member is used to define the way the buffer will be
mapped - cached or uncached. So,if I understand you correct, we need to
add ION_FLAG_ALIGNED flag and to share 32 bit field between flags and
flags specific data (alignment value) ?

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

I'm probably going to remove the carveout and chunk heap because
nobody has stepped up to figure out how to tie allocation of those
to device tree or another method.

Thanks,
Laura

Thanks,