Re: Linux driver for MAX517/518/519

On Jan 9 2011, Roland Stigge wrote:

Hi,

On 03/01/11 23:28, Greg KH wrote:
It's best to convert to the iio subsystem, as that is the way to go in
the future.

I'm also preparing a plain PWM driver for the LPC3250 SoC.

Would IIO be an appropriate place?
No. There is a pwm subsystem. I think thee actual drivers tend to go in the relevant arch directory. So far I think all of the are all arch specific. We do have some recently added support for direct digital synthesis (from Analog devices). There's obviously some common functionality, though the DDS devices tend to be for modulation purposes. Obviously pwm's have loads of uses, but tend to only need a very simple interface. I have wondered if we ought to support this as part of the dds interface, but so far I don't think we have a device anyone would actually use as simply a pwm.

Anyhow, see include/linux/pwm.h for pwm interface. Examples of implementations in arch/arm/plat-pxa and a few others in arch arm. Not that many users yet based on a quick grep.

Anyhow, the code in place looks to have come from Russell King (arm maintainer). I know Bill Gatliff proposed something similar... http://lists.openwall.net/linux-kernel/2010/02/02/353

Hope that helps. Will take a look at ADC driver sometime tomorrow with
a bit of luck.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Thanks in advance,