Re: rtl8192e: why do we need two drivers

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 5:21 AM, John Talbut <jt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I suspect the reason why we have two drivers is that Realtek choose to
> develop out of tree drivers instead of collaborating with the kernel
> developers to get proper in kernel drivers.  I do not see the logic in their
> doing this, it does the reputation of their company no good and it is more
> trouble for everyone involved.

Likely they do it because they have an OS abstraction layer and it
allows them to share the same source code between several different
OSes and OS versions.  It is a lot of work  to have to write and
update multiple versions of a driver for different OSes, especially if
you have limited development resources.  It does Linux no good to bad
mouth these companies when they provide working Linux drivers with
source code.  What advantage does writing a "native" Linux driver
provide for them other than extra maintenance work?

Alex