Re: gnome-device-manager Enhancements

2010/9/9 Kevin McKinney <klmckinney1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi  Maintainers,
> I am a C / C++ programmer looking to provide some assistance to the
> device manager (gnome-device-manager package) program.  I notice this
> program only list the devices installed on a machine; it does not
> provide device usability information.  Is there a project already in
> progress that will apprise the user of devices that are configured and
> usable?  Either way; I would like to help enhance this package in any
> way I can. Please advise.
>

>From what I see gnome-device-manager was hosted on the HAL homepage
(http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/). This means it probably is a
frontend to HAL, you should know, that HAL is a deprecated piece of
software (see http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal). You could
start by porting gnome-device-manager to udev/udisks/upower so that it
won't be obsoleted anytime soon :). Anyway, I think it would be best
to get involved in the Gnome community and ask them about how can you
help (http://live.gnome.org/JoinGnome).

Hope this helps.

Br,
Maciej Grela