RFC: USB over Ethernet

Greg et al,

I had what I thought was a great idea, and started stubbing out code for what would be a USB-over-Ethernet driver.  This would be very similar to the existing, in-kernel, ATA over Ethernet driver.  The end goal would be to access webcams, thumbdrives, printers, etc from my Android-based phone (no real usb host).

As I was digging around for a proper (minimal) Kconfig to copy into my directory, I happened upon staging/usbip...  oops.  They've put a lot more work into this than I have.  However, it's IP.  The thing I like about AoE is that it isn't routable, it's simple and there's less overhead since it's running at a lower layer.

So, before I burn too many cycles, should I just add my uoe*.c files to staging/usbip/ or should I create my own staging/uoe/ and borrow the vhci stuff?

I think that there's a real advantage to pushing it down to Ethernet, but I'm not sure if everyone would agree with that.

thoughts?

thx,

devel mailing list
devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx