Re: Upcoming Kernel - MultiTouchScreen Support

I'd like to share a few points from my experiences. I have an Apple
Magic Mouse (the entire surface is a big multitouch panel), so I saw the
ENAC work and Jiri's magicmouse driver. I got Jiri's driver working by
patching the lucid kernel, but I wasn't able to get the ENAC multitouchd
software to compile (or really to figure out what it was intended to do,
there's no documentation in the tarball). The one thing I really am
interested in is scrolling through the magic mouse touch panel, but the
current X input implementation for scrolling leaves much to be desired
in the end result because there's no smooth scrolling.

I didn't bother bringing this up before now because I figured support
just wasn't there in user space to make the effort worth while in the
kernel for Lucid. However, as noted, it would make things easier if
ubuntu shipped with the hid driver compiled as a module instead of
statically in the kernel. This is not only the case for ENAC's
multitouch work, but also for the magicmouse driver Jiri wrote. Perhaps
we should consider changing this?

Thanks,
Chase