Re: Merging OLPC XO-1 DCON driver to mainstream kernel tree?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 04:41:44PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:53:18 +0800
> Raymond Lai <airwave209gt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello world,
> >
> > I'm a OLPC XO-1 owner from HK. Out of boredom and fun I decided to
> > make this little green baby to run Ubuntu (OK, OK...), with the help
> > of various resources on the net, especially wiki.laptop.org.
> >
> > On the way of preparing the kernel, I wonder why the DCON driver (as
> > on http://git.infradead.org/geode.git) wasn't merged back to the
> > mainstream kernel tree? At the end, I did the changes on my own, and
> > I'm able to compile the kernel with DCON support added.
>
> It was waiting on CS5535 GPIO changes.  Those changes are now upstream.
>

> > I can submit a patch for such changes with the sources on kernel.org.
> > But a few questions...
> >
> > - Should I?
>
> Maybe.  It could certainly live in the staging tree while we do
> cleanups, and while the OLPC folks do their XO-1.5 changes.  Greg, what
> do you think? We have the full (git) history for the dcon driver;
> should I clean those up and provide a staging tree for you to pull
> from, or would you prefer the current driver w/out the history?

How is the history structured?  Is it within a full kernel tree, or as a
stand-alone driver?

Usually we just want a "clean" driver in one patch, but if you have the
full history, in the proper place, I would consider it.  Have a pointer
to it somewhere?

thanks,

greg k-h