Re: removal of strip driver from the linux kernel

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 02:46:25PM +0100, Alexander Huemer wrote:
> hi,
>
> i read in your blog that the driver "strip" for the metricom radios is
> going to be removed from the linux kernel.
> as you suggested, i am "speaking up" now, because i am using the driver.
> the driver should not be removed and could even be improved, actually
> in a very significant way.
> the current version (1.3) does not work for the last hardware revision
> of the radios which were the ones circulated in larger quantities.
> that may be the reason why the driver does (or did) have a quite small
> user base.
> these radios are available on eBay from time to time, very cheap.
> the difference in the hardware is mostly a different length of the
> hardware address.
>
> there is already a patch and documentation from alex belitis [1] for
> that, for linux-2.4.1.  i also found a different patch [2] that might
> be of interest, for 2.5.46.

Are you able to refresh these patches for the latest kernel version and
send them to me so that we can help bring the code up-to-date?

> since the driver is quite small and the starmode concept is quite
> unique in wireless networking, i am planning to do some academic work
> on the concept during an OS and networking class at the university of
> salzburg.
> i am not (yet) an experienced kernel programmer and because of that
> have problems porting the patch from alex belitis to the current
> kernel versions. who could help me with this ?

What problems are you having?

> the git log lists a lot people plumbing on strip.c, so i am unsure
> whom to contact.

The linux-wireless mailing list (on the CC:), and the driverdevel list
are the best ones.

Anyone want to help out here?

> [1] http://phobos.illtel.denver.co.us/~abelits/metricom/
> [2] http://www.stillhq.com/linux/patches/2.5.46/cli_sti_removal-001