Re: RTL8192SU driver help

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suggest filing bugs in Ubuntu's bug database if you are using their
> kernels.

Will do that shortly.

> If you use a kernel.org kernel, then we can help you out.

I can try it out. But specifically why would I need to use a
kernel.org kernel? This driver is a kernel module, right?

>> The log is truncated. The last error keeps looping for a few times.
>> When I place the firmware in the /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU directory,
>> and plugin the device, I get a kernel panic.
>
> What is the exact panic?

I was not able to capture the error messages as the system locked up.
Could you suggest a way of capturing the messages?

> Can you try the 2.6.32 kernel?  It has some fixes for this driver in it.

As I said earlier, I can try it out but is it possible for me to just
build the correct modules? or does this driver require features
specifically in .32?

Also, I'm planning to try out the new kernel in a VM. Since this is a
USB device, I can pass full control to the virtualized installation of
linux. Is that fine or should I test it out on a physical machine?

Also, if I'm trying out the 2.6.32 machine, could you tell me which
flags should I need to enable / pay attention to so that I'm sure
compile the correct drivers?

Thanks.

Dinesh