Gettinng started with Linux drivers

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:00:13 -0700
> Stefan Richter <stefanr at s5r6.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>>>  3. How do I know if a driver has already been written? Right now, I
>>> simply do a grep -R trying to match several device name strings.
>> Usually, drivers are matched against some numeric IDs.
>> You could also ask on the relevant subsystem mailinglist if anybody
>> knows of a driver for your specific device which is not in the mainline.
>
> Is there a list of sub-system maintainers? Or do I search for them in
> the git commit logs?

Better ask on mailinglists rather than individual people.  Subsystem
development mailinglists are listed in linux/MAINTAINERS of course.  The
one for networking is netdev at vger.kernel.org.

>>>  4. Tips on how to get started? I have read several example drivers but
>>> are there any 'platinum' class drivers that you can recommend that is
>>> clear and that you recommend regularly to beginners.
> For the drivers you are familiar with, anything
> that you would recommend?

I basically only work with drivers/ieee1394 and drivers/firewire; out of
them the latter are new and nicely written, though I don't know if they
are clear enough to beginners, or solid platinum even...
--
Stefan Richter