Linux Device Driver ZL50408

On Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 10:23:37AM +1300, Caleb Gordon wrote:

> Hi to everyone on this mailing list,
>
> I have been directed to post this project to this mailing list by Greg KH. I
> have attached some of the conversation that I have had with Greg regarding
> the development of a Linux device driver for an IC I am currently using -
n> the ZL50408/CX97316.

> > Thanks for getting back to me on this. From my perspective what I need
> > is a Kernel driver module that will allow for me to initialise and
> > talk to the
> > ZL50408 using the 16-bit CPU interface. There will be some glue logic
> > that can be performed by the programmable hardware of the FPGA if
> > needed to mainly help with timing. I believe that the functionality of
> > the driver will be similar to that of the Davicom DM9000 ISA fast
> > Ethernet driver, however I am slightly unsure about how to deal with
> > some of the specific needs of this driver. The ZL50408 CPU interface
> > can be used for both configuration and as a port of the switch,
> > therefore packets can be sent and received via this interface and at
> > times during normal operation, statistics will have to be retrieved
> > and the switch configuration (i.e. VLANs) can be changed. I plan to
> > use this interface for management messages, remote configuration and
> remote upgrade.
> >
> > Are you able to help me or perhaps point me in a good direction for help.
> > Are there any other device drivers that are part of the Kernel that
> > you can recommend that I look at? Any drivers for a switch with an
> > addressable type interface that allows for both configuration of the
> > hardware and passing of packets? Do you think using embedded linux is
> actually the way to go?

Caleb,
I would like to help on this. I have worked on the management
driver of similar chip. Probably we need two seperate drivers, CMIIW.
- management driver with a char interface for switch management
- network driver for managing the data packets

and Iam interested to work on the management driver if you agree with
the above. Or do we have a better way of doing it?

--
Linu cherian