TW6800 based video capture boards

On Sun, 25 May 2008 04:00:28 +0200
Domenico Andreoli <cavokz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have some shining boards based on Techwell TW6802 and a "working"
> V4L2 driver provided by the producer. Ah.. I have also the specs of
> those TW6802 chips. Everything has been purchased by my employer.
>
> Now I am eager to publish everything but I can't right now. My employer
> would not understand and I would be in a difficult position. He already
> knows that those drivers are based on GPL software and then _are_ GPL
> at all the effects but he still needs to completely understand how it
> works. Those guys are always happy to use Linux for free but at the
> time of giving anything back...
>
> To make the long story short, I want to rewrite them. So, how do
> you judge my (legal) position? Yes, you are not a lawyer but I would
> appreciate any related advice anyway ;)

I think this will depend if you have a signed NDA or not, and what are their
terms. Better to consult a lawyer ;)

> Since I am a kernel newbie I am expecting to receive lots of "leave
> V4L2 to expert coders..." but I will try anyway. You are warned :)

Just do your work and submit us the code. We'll analyse it and point for
issues, if needed ;) If you have any doubts about V4L2, I can help you.

Please, always c/c v4l ML when submitting your driver[1]. You may also c/c
other lists, like LKML. This will allow people to review it.

[1] video4linux-list at redhat.com

Cheers,
Mauro