Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

A: No.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:25:49PM +0200, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fedoras Mike McGrath has started Smolt. Smolt is included since Fedora 7
> and supports Ubuntu, Suse, ...
>
> Smolt collects hw-informations and sends them to a central server. This is
> done once while installation and regulary while running the system.
>
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/smolt

Yes, smolt has been out there for quite a while and is a nice try at
doing something like this, but still fails for a database by which users
can do a simple "does this device work with Linux" check while standing
in a store.

It is a nice tool to use by kernel developers to validate which drivers
should be focused more on, so in that usage model, it has succeeded very
nicely.

> The idea was discussed to link this data to wiki-pages, so users can
> contribute to a hw-database: drivers, howtos, status reports, ...

Has that happened?

> I think it has failed before, because the database would be large and needs
> to be updated very often. But Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap shows, this is
> possible. If every user does only contribute his two PCs, we could cover
> all eixsting hardware.

Mapping pci id to a physical device sitting in a box is an almost
impossible task.  Same goes for USB devices (are you going to be able to
tell the difference between two different versions of a device
properly?)

I welcome the attempt, but still remain unconvinced that it will be
possible.  Please feel free to prove me wrong, it would not be the first
time :)

thanks,

greg k-h