Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

De: Greg KH
Enviado el: jue 10/04/2008 1:46
Para: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
CC: devel at linuxdriverproject.org
Asunto: Re: Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:11:58AM +0200, Pedro Macanas wrote:
>> We could create generic drivers, so when a class of hardware is found, it
> can be loaded by default . Later, the user can install a customized driver
> or customize the generic driver.

>I'm confused, what kind of "generic driver" that would work with
hardware does Linux currently lack?  I know of one type of "UNDI" driver
that might work for some networking devices, but other than that, this
will not really work at all.

>Other than that, what specifically are you referring to here?

I talk about open hardware drivers. Instead of create a driver for a
hardware, create an (as much as possible) open hardware scheme for a (open)
driver.

I don?t know UNDI, but I think this can be similar to this idea and
interesting to discuss here.  Wireless connection is sometimes vital for
desktop boxes. So,  it is a big problem the user cannot find a driver in
Linux for a WiFi Router or USB dongle.

I tried it for

>> One can help downstream to create more easy to use driver handlers. I.e.
my
> Ubuntu 7.10 box detects my Huawei E220, but it is difficult to handle it
> connect to the Internet (i.e. it detects three devices)

>That's because it really has 3 devices in it :)

But I have not read a page with information about why does one need it (one
is the modem, other is USB ? for ? and other is the virtual CDROM ), so I
could not add this to the help pages.

One must use USB0 to dial.

On the Gnome desktop appears two devices (one of them is the virtual CDROM;
the other ?). This second device can be confusing for newbies (and cannot be
used as a modem clicking on it).

>Latest version of networkmanager handles devices like this quite well.

Yes, I could try wvdialconf utility. I have written the results for other
newbies in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/Huawei/E220  (
I could not find similar practical information in the Internet before).

I am going to try to connect using network manager  or gnome-ppp (Ubuntu).

> >  3) Wireless device support
>
>  (this includes USB cell modems and mobile phone bultin modems).

>No, those are quite different, and work very well so far.  If you know
of any devices that do not work in this area, please let me know, as
I've been working with these companies to solve this issue.

I am going to try Sony-Ericcson T610 with Bluetooth in Ubuntu, after Huawei
E220 (my Sony is only GPRS and E220 is HSDPA). It is second remedy when E220
could not work because of any reason.

>thanks,

No, thanks to you for your great work and patience ;-)

Pedro.