Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:59 PM, John W. Linville <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:42:52PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>  > On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:46:48AM +0530, JoJo jojo wrote:
>

> > > e) wireless is a mess because of FCC regulations, they want
>  > > manufacturers to limit the operating capabilities of the
>  > > device(frequencies), manufacturers figure that its cheaper to do this
>  > > in s/w rather than h/w, by making a closed source firmware. I don't
>  > > see how we can improve this situation unless you can help EU legislate
>  > > it away (assuming US is a lost cause)
>  >
>  > The whole FCC thing is, in my personal opinion, a big excuse that some
>  > companies are using to not release the code for their hardware.  If you
>  > notice, other companies do not believe this and have released code.
>
>  I think it is actually some of both.  Regulators (particularly the
>  FCC) have failed to eliminate the spectre of threat that might come
>  from opening specs and/or source code from vendors.  Further, they
>  continue to countenance the notion that closed-source software is
>  somehow equivalent to locking-down a hardware device.  This provides
>  enough "cover" for vendors to "run home" to an unfriendly stance
>  against open source if they have any desire to do so for whatever
>  other reasons may exist (embarassment about sloppy specs, perceived
>  competitive advantage, etc).
>

>  > Either way, the very capable, and active developers of the
>  > linux-wireless projects are working to resolve all of the wireless
>  > driver issues.  If you have questions or concerns about these types of
>  > devices, please contact them.
>
>  On behalf of my developers (who do all the work), I appreciate your
>  vote of confidence!
>
>  While I'm here, let me invite any budding reverse engineers to
>  join us on linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org.  As Greg mentioned the
>  reverse-engineered ath5k and b43 (and b43legacy) drivers continue
>  to develop, but both projects could use more help.  In particular
>  the b43 folks need help reverse engineering the 802.11n devices.
>
>  Also, there is a project underway to reverse-engineer support for
>  Airgo devices.  I regret that I haven't spent much time with that
>  project, but I think it is well underway.
Is the reverse engneer of Airgo device taken charge by Jeff Williams
(http://airgo.wdwconsulting.net/mymoin)?
We refer to it to developed the driver, however the driver is unstable.
Jeff said the reverse engneer is carried out by hard research.
Now I am reversing engneer the driver of Airgo device on Window.

By the way, there is a strange assembly code from IDA Pro(a disassemble tool).
I can not understand it. Where should the Windows assembly code be discussed?
The assembly code is very simple, just write a value to ioremap space and check
whether it take affect. However it is different between the value
written(100h) and
the value checked(10h).

The assembly code(from IDA Pro 5.0):
sub_13C00 proc near

var_4= dword ptr -4
arg_0= dword ptr  8

push    esi
mov     esi, [esp+arg_0]
mov     al, [esi+24Ah]
test    al, al
jz      short loc_13C71

mov     eax, [esi+31F4h]
push    100h            ; Value
add     eax, 3000h
push    eax             ; Register
call    ds:WRITE_REGISTER_ULONG
mov     eax, [esi+31F4h]
mov     ecx, [eax+3000h]
mov     [esp+arg_0], ecx
mov     edx, [esp+arg_0]
and     edx, 10h
cmp     dl, 10h
jnz     short loc_13C71

push    edi
mov     edi, ds:KeStallExecutionProcessor
lea     esp, [esp+0]

loc_13C50:              ; MicroSeconds
push    32h
call    edi ; KeStallExecutionProcessor