State of Linux webcam support

On 09/28/2007 02:13 PM, Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A couple of years ago I worked on getting some webcams working
> with Linux. To be honest, I was unpleasantly surprised.
> There seems to be a lack of direction on how webcams
> are even supposed to be supported.
>
> The problem is that many USB webcams send raw 'bayer' sensor
> data in a compressed form to the PC in order to get reasonable
> frames-per-second over a full-speed (12 Mb/s) USB connection
> AFAIK, the linux kernel developers decided that is was no longer
> allowed to do decompression and bayer format conversion in the kernel.

Exactly.

> Some ideas:
> * create a user-space library for webcams that reads the compressed
>   data from a v4l(2) device file, decompresses and unbayers it,
>   then exposes it through a standard API to applications.

This idea is already in progress: v4l library. [Needed also for stk11xx (only in
-mm due to not having yet another bayer->rgb conversion in the kernel) and
usbvision (in v4l yet).]

Thierry Merle <thierry.merle at free.fr>:
http://thierry.merle.free.fr/v4l2_extension/general.html

regards,
--
Jiri Slaby (jirislaby at gmail.com)
Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University