Status report, October 16, 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 15:37 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 02:21:28PM -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>
> > It would be nice to get the Zaptel drivers into the mainline kernel.
> > Digium has talked about this from time to time but I don't think that
> > they have actually assigned some engineers to the task.
>
> Yes, I agree.  However, I haven't really looked at them.  What are
> the hurdles with getting them merged?

I haven't really done any kernel development, but from what I've seen
the technical issues are mostly eliminating #ifdef'd compatibility code
and getting the rest of the code up to kernel standards (better use of
sysfs etc.).  Zaptel cards are capable of providing pretty precise
timing.  The current Zaptel drivers expose that through a non-standard
interface at the moment - it'd be nice to switch that to using the high
resolution timer support in the rest of the kernel.  There are also a
couple of drivers that use some code / firmware from Octasic.  The
Octasic code is GPLv2 (or later) as far as I can see.  Don't know about
licensing for the Octasic or the Digium firmware though.

Politically, it would be nice if Digium would at least sign off on the
idea if they don't/can't contribute any developer resources at this
time.  Digium actively develops the Zaptel drivers, at least fixing bugs
and adding support for new hardware they have developed.  I haven't seen
any work from them (publically at least) on restructuring the code that
would make it more acceptable for inclusion in the kernel.

Jeff