Re: Building directly with sphinx

Am 20.05.20 um 23:53 schrieb Konstantin Ryabitsev:
Hi, all:

I was playing around with readthedocs.org recently and wanted to see if
I could build kernel docs there. I cannot directly run "make htmldocs"
there, and it proved to be quite tricky to make sphinx do the right
thing without all the things that are being defined in the Makefile.

Is it possible at all, or am I wasting my time?

It is wasting time ;) .. The Makefile targets do build intermedaiate
files using perl and other scripts, this will never work on RTD.

FWIW: in other projects I worked some time with RTD but at the end
I gave up: If you have e.g. auto generated content in your build
process which is not generated by the python developer-mainstream
tools, RTD gives you too little freedom to implement your more
or less complex build procedures.  And .. often I get the RTD-Oops
links from search engines ..  RTD is (my experience is a  while
ago; "was") not very comfortable to to rebind obsolete URLs to
new content.

Overall I think kernel.org does a good job .. since years, no need
for additional RTD confusions;

   https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/

-- Markus --

-K