Re: undefined label

Am 07.03.19 um 10:17 schrieb Tobin C. Harding:
Hi Jon,

I hit that undefined label warning again today.  Then just now I was
sitting enjoying a quite scotch and the reason came to me.  It is caused
by building part of the docs instead of the whole tree i.e. using

	make SPHINXDIRS=admin-guide htmldocs

Gives the warning

	WARNING: undefined label: numa (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)

The label 'numa' is not a part of the admin-guide (book), it is set in
the vm (book): Documentation/vm/numa.rst:1

If compiling only a book like admin-guide, those links are broken.  Its not only
'numa' which is broken and its not only the admin-guide which has cross-books
links in.

To close such cross-books links we can use intersphinx [1] and map to e.g.

  intersphinx_mapping = {
      'kernel': ('https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/', None)}

If there is any interest in, I can implement a RFC for this.

-- Markus --

[1] https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/extensions/intersphinx.html

This is a hell of a gotcha, I wasted a bunch of cycles baffled as to why
that label was not defined today :(  Super excited that I worked out why
while day dreaming though.

Last time I sent in the 'fix' I must built with SPHINXDIRS, patched then
built without SPHINXDIRS and thought the patch fixed it.

Anyways, hope you get a chuckle out of this.

All the best,
Tobin.