Documentation/translations: Italian

Hello,

I'm writing you because I would like to start an effort to translate the
Documentation in Italian. I would like also to express the idea of providing
guide lines for translations.

A looked a bit in the archive but I did not find anything about these two
topics (Italian translation, guide lines for translations).

I know that there are already translations for Asian languages but I am not
able to find the history of them. I do not know if translations in European
languages are going to be accepted (perhaps there is the assumption that
everyone knows English in the European continent and it is a waste of energy
to do translations[?]). For example, even if French and Germans are quite
active there are not translations yet in their language: is there a particular
reason or simply nobody did it?

Why
===
There is nothing better for understanding than our own mother tongue, and
reading Documentation is one of those activities where it is important to
understand its message rather than learning a different language (there are
dedicated books and courses for that). This is especially true for young
developers and new-comers who are really focused on understanding Linux and a
different language can be an obstacle sometimes. I personally had a couple of
experiences where I pointed people to the documentation and I had to explain
English rather than Linux. Very competent people but they were not used to use
English every day.

I put myself in this list of people who prefer the mother tongue language when
it is time to really understand something. I work for an international
organization in a country that is not mine with people coming from all around
the European continent and our common tongue is bad-English with all its
dialects and accents: true-English (with its own dialects), spaghetti-English,
kartoffel-English, paella-English, formage-English and more. Misunderstanding
is not rare, and sometimes express ourselves takes more time than needed. This
is another reason why I believe that for understanding purposes is good to
read in our own mother tongue.

Plan
====
If you agree with the need to support different translations, I would like to
do the Italian one. But first I would like to open a little discussion about
translations  "how to write translations"; this discussion should produce a
document (in English) with guide lines for translator (e.g. Documentation/
translation/howto.rst): what to translate first, what to NOT translate, how to
structure it.
Once this is defined I will start the Italian translation (I already have some
documents translated).

How to do translations (IMHO)
-----------------------------
Here my personal guide lines for translations

- Translate only sphinx-ready documents, do not translate documents which are
not yet sphinx. We should avoid useless double work; at some point, I guess,
everything will be sphinx.
- Include in all documents a disclaimer saying that English is the main
reference (use sphinx directive 'include' to include it).
- Include in all documents a reference to the English version. So it will be
easy jump to the original document.
- Translate in order: non-technical documents (they are stable, useful for a
wider group of people (developers and managers): process/, doc-guide/ ),
technical documents about key concepts (they are stable, and important for
new-comers), subsystems (the big picture is stable, typically they do not
describe all little details that may change), and then other documents
- avoid scattered translations: try to finish one "topic" before translating
something else

Probably there is much more, that's why I would like to have a little
discussion about it.

Thanks for reading everything :)

--
Federico Vaga