Re: NPTL docs inquiry

Hi,

On 08/07/2017 06:42 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 08/07/2017 09:31 AM, Yubin Ruan wrote:
>> Hi, I am wondering whether there is any progress for NPTL. In page[1]
>> I see lots of pthread-related pages are missing. Pretty shocked by
>> that.
>>
>> Are there any plan for that? Who is the maintainer of NPTL? Why are
>> such an important lib missing manual pages?

Because no-one wrote all of them yet. I know it's not what you
hope to hear, but contributions are welcome.

Note, by the way, that the Linux man-pages project sits outside of
the glibc project. The documentation for that project is the
glibc manual, but many things also are not documented there.

Also, there are the POSIX man pages, which are distributed by the
Linux man-pages project. These are extracts from POSIX, and document
(the standard behavior) of all of the pthreads functions that are in
POSIX. Installing those pages may give you some of what you want.

>> [1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/missing_pages.html
>
> [adding Michael Kerrisk]
>
> Wikipedia says:
> {in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_POSIX_Thread_Library}
>
> "NPTL has been part of Red Hat Enterprise Linux since version 3, and
> in the Linux kernel since version 2.6. It is now a fully integrated
> part of the GNU C Library.[2]"
>
> so I would expect the documentation to be part of that library.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk