Re: Error in make linkcheckdocs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Remy Leone <remy.leone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that this bug started to happen :

Please always try to identify the commit where you see this fails, and
the commit where this worked. And from there on, 'git bisect' is your
friend.

> When I try to launch make linkcheckdocs, the build block and cannot
> either fail or return. When launching the command :
>
> sphinx-build . output -b linkcheck -vvv
>
> from the Documentation directory, I get the following error:

Sadly, the media documentation have make based prerequisites to running
Sphinx, and you have to run the documentation targets using 'make' from
the kernel source root, e.g. 'make linkcheckdocs', to have them built.

The media rules generate stuff in the output directory, but Sphinx
itself makes it hard to include stuff from the output directory back
into the documentation. So there's a special "kernel-include" directive
that parses environment variables in the argument, and $BUILDDIR gets
used. You'll have to have BUILDDIR environment variable set. You can see
from your error messages that the variable was not expanded.

So please use make to run Sphinx, and have the prerequisites
generated. After that, you can achieve what you want by running

BUILDDIR=output sphinx-build . output -b linkcheck

in the Documentation directory, but it won't update the prerequisites.

BR,
Jani.