Sphinx builds always write to the source directory

I'm having trouble with the Debian packaging of kernel documentation.
We try to build everything in a separate output directory (underneath
debian/build), but the new Sphinx-based build system writes to the
source directory.

Firstly, Python creates bytecode files alongside the module sources.
This could be avoided by setting environment variable
PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=1, at the expense of requiring recompilation
more often.

Secondly, starting with 4.10, Documentation/media/Makefile converts
from dot to SVG and from SVG to PDF in the source directory.  It seems
like it should be possible to put the converted files in the output
directory, but I don't know how to tell Sphinx to find them there.

Are these issues likely to be fixed?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today, ignorance or