Re: Warnings for documentation of private elements of a structure.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017, Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have very little idea how the internals of the kernel-doc processing
> code work, but was wondering if it would be possible to suppress warnings
> of the type:
>
>  ./include/linux/iio/buffer.h:142: warning: Excess struct/union/enum/typedef member 'ref' description in 'iio_buffer'
>
> when the member is there but has been marked private.

That's not marked private, and I don't see the error. Is this a made up
example?

> I don't really want to end up deliberately having different formatting
> for documentation of internal structure elements and public API ones.
>
> Obviously I can just ignore the warnings, but they do swamp any real issues
> once you start dealing with large structures.

I presume the idea behind "private" is that you only document the public
interface using kernel-doc. That's how the examples in
scripts/kernel-doc look like anyway.

For your buffer.h example, I think I'd go with either a) switching to
in-line documentation of the members, and then using normal comments
instead of /** for the private members, or b) documenting each private
member as private in the documentation comments, instead of using the
special /* private: */ comment (and actually they already seem to have
the scope documented).

Implementation wise, kernel-doc uses regexps to ignore the members after
the "private" designation, but then it parsers the comments
separately. So it doesn't see the private members, but it will see the
comments. After that, the documentation of the private members are
indistinguishable from documentation of non-existing members for
kernel-doc.

Fixing this doesn't look like a very pleasant task, and judging by the
kernel-doc documentation and implementation, it works as originally
intended. It's not a bug, it's a feature. ;)

BR,
Jani.