Re: Proposing help for documentation

Em Wed, 02 Nov 2016 16:05:13 +0000
Luis de Bethencourt <luisbg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On 02/11/16 10:41, Jani Nikula wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Nov 2016, Luis de Bethencourt <luisbg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I also offer my help, let me know if you see anything I can do.
> >
> > Luis, Patrice, anyone else out there willing to help: here's a list of
> > stuff to do, off the top of my head. I'm sure Jon will amend this.
> >
> > 0) Some basics first
> >
> > Subscribe to linux-doc. Read it.
>
> Subscribed for a while. Reading it more close now.
>

> > Read https://lwn.net/Articles/692705/ and
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/704613/ if you haven't already.
> >

> Done.

I also wrote a series of articles at:
	https://blogs.s-osg.org/new-improved-linux-kernel-media-documentation/

I intend to write also some articles there about PDF, with seems really
tricky to get it right on Sphinx.

> > Figure out how to build the documentation. Read the part about writing
> > kernel documentation. Also at
> > http://static.lwn.net/kerneldoc/kernel-documentation.html.
> >
> > For most things under Documentation, you'll want to use the docs-next
> > branch of git://git.lwn.net/linux.git. That has the latest stuff. If you
> > use Linus' master, you'll be working on old stuff.
> >
> > For fixing kernel-doc source code comments, you'll need to use the
> > appropriate subsystem tree, see MAINTAINERS.
> >
> > In any case, most changes need to be sent to both linux-doc and the
> > relevant subsystem/driver mailing list. See MAINTAINERS and
> > scripts/get_maintainer.pl.
> >
> > Whatever you do, don't spend forever polishing it privately. Otherwise
> > someone might beat you to it, and effort will be wasted. Read the list,
> > maybe someone's already posted patches that just haven't been merged
> > yet.
>
> Great summary of the development process.
>

> > 1) Build documentation. Look at errors during build, fix them.
> >
> > Some of the issues come from source code comments via the kernel-doc
> > extension; those changes need to go through the appropriate subsystem,
> > not via the documentation tree. Watch out, some of the things may have
> > been fixed in the subsystem repo already.
> >
> > 2) Build documentation. Read the output, fix issues, improve the
> > language, improve the presentation. Ditto about source code comments.
> >
> > Personally, I think this is both very important and unfortunately
> > laborous, because this is mostly stuff that Sphinx won't warn about.

I'd complement that you should test the output also for PDF... There are
some special tags and, sometimes  some spells to make it work.

> It is also more rewarding because newcomers get to learn by reading the
> docs, while also contributing. Win win.
>
> > 3) Look at documentation patches on linux-doc, review them, test them,
> > give feedback.
> >

> I sent this yesterday, mind reviewing it?
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-doc/msg41297.html

Nothing wrong with the above patch, but, IMHO, it would be better to
only fix such typos on files already converted to ReST, as otherwise
it could conflict with a patch with someone else would be doing such
conversion. Just my 2 cents.

In time: I'm not touching at Documentation/usb.tmpl, or on any other
DocBook document.

> > 4) Convert DocBook templates under Documentation/DocBook to Sphinx.
> >
> > The conversion is actually the easy part; figuring out whether the
> > documentation is still relevant and where to stick it in the Sphinx
> > build is harder. Jon may have some vision on this, but personally I'd
> > like to obliterate DocBook first, and then figure out what to do with
> > the resulting converted rst documents.

Markus has a script with helps with such conversion. I guess he actually
has conversion for everything, but you'll need to dig into the kernel-doc
markups, as some will break after the conversion.

> Will wait in case Jon wants to add his opinion on this.
>
> > 5) Convert .txt files under Documentation to .rst.
> >
> > There are caveats here. Not everything needs to be converted. Some of
> > the stuff is obsolete, and converting might be wasted effort. Just
> > converting without updating to reflect current kernels is hazardous,
> > because the obsolete information will then be more accessible with the
> > converted documentation on the web.
> >
> > People like plain text, don't go overboard with rst markup. Use
> > discretion.
> >

> > For both 4) and 5) I'd really like the seasoned kernel devs to actively
> > hand out stuff to willing new hands.
> >

> This is a great point. Greg and others worry about the rising barrier of
> entry to contribute to the kernel. This would be a great thing to hand out
> to newcomers. I am personally interested if any seasoned maintainers are
> reading this.
>

> > HTH,
> > Jani.
> >

> Thank you so much for the thorough list Jani. Much appreciated.
>
> Luis
> --

Cheers,
Mauro