Re: Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 17:52:46 +0300
> Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I was looking at Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and figured that
>> has got to be constantly stale and incomplete. It's really data that
>> should be autogenerated. I don't think it should just be converted to
>> Sphinx as-is.
>
> So this hasn't gotten a whole lot of response, so I figure I ought to say
> something...  I agree that it would be a good thing to automate the
> creation of this information.  That, of course, requires that somebody do
> the work to actually make that happen...

I was hoping on some feedback on the approaches themselves... but I
guess that'd first require patches people could then vehemently
oppose. :p

> In the meantime, I did go ahead
> and apply Mauro's conversion to Sphinx because I didn't see the harm in
> doing so - it doesn't block the addition of a better solution once we get
> around to making one.

Mauro's conversion that just puts all the parameter descriptions into a
preformatted text block seems fine; I did intend to say it's not worth
the effort to go through it all and manually convert to some nice
formatting. (Of course, that is not at all what I wrote. [1])

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiio%27s_laws