Re: [RFC] fs: add userspace critical mounts event support

On 03/09/2016 11:10, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> I was thinking if we kernel could post
> "conditions" (maybe simple stings) that it waits for, and userspace
> could unlock these "conditions". One of them might be "firmware
> available".

On idea offered by Josh Triplett that seems to overlap with this one
is to have something similar to the (deprecated) userhelper with
*per-blob* requests and notifications except for one major difference:
userspace would not anymore be in charge of *providing* the blob but
would instead only *signal* when a given blob becomes available and is
either found or found missing. Then the kernel loads the blob _by
itself_; unlike the userhelper. No new “critical filesystem” concept
and a *per-blob basis*, allowing any variation of blob locations
across any number of initramfs and filesystems.

Could this one fly?