Re: a few questions about working with kerneldoc these days

On 02/03/15 11:31, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   first, is linux-next the proper tree to work with to see the
> absolutely latest commits to the documentation? just so i don't
> duplicate someone else's work.

It's probably a good target to work with.

>   next, in the current "make htmldocs", there are a few diagnostics
> like this:
>
> Warning(.//drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_acm.c): no structured comments found
> Warning(.//drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_ecm.c): no structured comments found
> Warning(.//drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_subset.c): no structured comments found
> Warning(.//drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_obex.c): no structured comments found
> Warning(.//drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_serial.c): no structured comments found
>
> clearly representing a DocBook .tmpl file pulling in a specified
> source file that has no (typically exported) kerneldoc content. is
> there any reason for those lines to be there? shouldn't the .tmpl
> files be cleansed of "!E" lines that have no value and simply generate
> dummy/error pages in the manual?

Yes, I have seen those Warning lines.  Do they also generate some dummy/error
pages in the output files?  I had not noticed that.

Sure, they can be deleted.  I just never thought that they were a serious
problem, but if they also generate error output in the html/pdf etc., then
they certainly need to be deleted.

>   finally, i'd like a kerneldoc manual for the open firmware API, and
> i see no such thing. if i wanted to start creating one, would it make
> more sense to add that to an existing manual (say device-drivers), or
> start a new manual?

I would create a new one unless it is fairly small.

--
~Randy