Re: Device tree support for Atmel AC97 controller on AT91SAM9263

At Tue, 15 Apr 2014 00:47:11 +0200,
Alexandre Belloni wrote:

> On 14/04/2014 at 20:43:02 +0200, Alexander Stein wrote :
> > Hello Takashi,
> >
> > On Monday 14 April 2014, 10:42:06 wrote Takashi Iwai:

> > actual
> > >
> > > Do you really need work on this driver?  The sound/atmel/* stuff is an
> > > old one before ASoC was introduced, mostly obsoleted nowadays.
> >
> > Ah, ok. I wasn't aware of that. But is there a replacement for the ac97c
> > driver? All I found in sound/soc/atmel is using the SSC peripheral. Not
> > something I can use.
>
> I guess what Takashi wanted to say was: shouldn't we rewrite the driver
> completely to take advantage of the ASoC infrastructure ?

Yep, exactly.  Thanks for my sparse word completion :)

> I'm actually quite interesting in getting it to work as this is the la
> peripheral that doesn't have DT support on the SAM9RL.
>
> I'll make some comments on your patches but I'm not sure whether we
> should keep that driver or move to ASoC. Maybe that could be an
> intermediate step. I'll try to have a look this week.

OK, if people think it's still useful, I can take the patches without
problems.  The changes are small and easy enough.  But, the only
condition is that it's assured that the changes / binding is
applicable to ASoC (in future, if any).  That said, it'd be great if
anyone can work on the proper integration to ASoC at the same time.

thanks,

Takashi