Re: checkpatch doc suggestion

On Monday, 13 May 2024 07:08:55 CEST Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> > Thanks to your hint and some experimentation, I managed to add id
> > attributes to the various ``dl`` elements and can directly reference the
> > tags :-)
> >
> > But I noticed 2 things in the generated HTML documentation:
> > 1) The id attributes are all lowercase, regardless of how I defined them
> > in ``checkpatch.rst``
> > 2) The underscores (``_``) have been replaced with dashes (``-``)
> >
> > So instead of linking to checkpatch.html#BAD_FIXES_TAG I have to link to
> > checkpatch.html#bad-fixes-tag. I was hoping that I could get the literal
> > tags names (including underscores and uppercase letters) as id attribute.
> >
> > Is something rst/sphinx always does or did I do something wrong?
>
> For authoritative info, I'd suggest consulting the reST reference for
> "Hyperlink Targets" at:
>
> https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#hyperlin
> k-targets
>
> and "Hyperlink References" at:
>
> https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#hyperlin
> k-references
>
> , and other related sections therein.

https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/ref/rst/directives.html#identifier-normalization
taught me the reason why those conversions happened, so I'll use the
normalized version in my patch submission as well so that there's a 1-on-1
match between the source and the generated id attribute in the html docs.

> HTH, Akira

It sure did, thanks!

Cheers,
  Diederik