Re: [RFC RESEND 00/16] Split IOMMU DMA mapping operation to two steps

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:22:15AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 03:43:30PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > If we are going to make caller provided uniformity a requirement, lets
> > imagine a formal memory type idea to help keep this a little
> > abstracted?
> >
> >  DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_NORMAL
> >  DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_P2P_NOT_ACS
> >  DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_ENCRYPTED
> >  DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_BOUNCE_BUFFER  // ??
> >
> > Then maybe the driver flow looks like:
> >
> > 	if (transaction.memory_type == DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_NORMAL && dma_api_has_iommu(dev)) {
>
> Add a nice helper to make this somewhat readable, but yes.
>
> > 	} else if (transaction.memory_type == DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_P2P_NOT_ACS) {
> > 		num_hwsgls = transcation.num_sgls;
> > 		for_each_range(transaction, range) {
> > 			hwsgl[i].addr = dma_api_p2p_not_acs_map(range.start_physical, range.length, p2p_memory_provider);
> > 			hwsgl[i].len = range.size;
> > 		}
> > 	} else {
> > 		/* Must be DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_NORMAL, DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_ENCRYPTED, DMA_MEMORY_TYPE_BOUNCE_BUFFER? */
> > 		num_hwsgls = transcation.num_sgls;
> > 		for_each_range(transaction, range) {
> > 			hwsgl[i].addr = dma_api_map_cpu_page(range.start_page, range.length);
> > 			hwsgl[i].len = range.size;
> > 		}
> >

> And these two are really the same except that we call a different map
> helper underneath.  So I think as far as the driver is concerned
> they should be the same, the DMA API just needs to key off the
> memory tap.

Yeah.. If the caller is going to have compute the memory type of the
range then lets pass it to the helper

dma_api_map_memory_type(transaction.memory_type, range.start_page, range.length);

Then we can just hide all the differences under the API without doing
duplicated work.

Function names need some work ...

> > > But MRs consolidate multiple dma addresses anyway.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand this?
>
> The RDMA MRs take a a list of PFNish address, (or SGLs with the
> enhanced MRs from Mellanox) and give you back a single rkey/lkey.

Yes, that is the desire.

> > To go back to my main thesis - I would like a high performance low
> > level DMA API that is capable enough that it could implement
> > scatterlist dma_map_sg() and thus also implement any future
> > scatterlist_v2, bio, hmm_range_fault or any other thing we come up
> > with on top of it. This is broadly what I thought we agreed to at LSF
> > last year.
>
> I think the biggest underlying problem of the scatterlist based
> DMA implementation for IOMMUs is that it's trying to handle to much,
> that is magic coalescing even if the segments boundaries don't align
> with the IOMMU page size.  If we can get rid of that misfeature I
> think we'd greatly simply the API and implementation.

Yeah, that stuff is not easy at all and takes extra computation to
figure out. I always assumed it was there for block...

Leon & Chaitanya will make a RFC v2 along these lines, lets see how it
goes.

Thanks,
Jason