Re: Help required - kernel-doc, code block and backslash

Anna-Maria Behnsen <anna-maria@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'll try to integrate some documentation which is already written in
> code comments into the kernel documentation.
>
> There I face the problem with a backslash at the end of a line in a
> 'code block' and this ends up in removing the newline.

Yes, kernel-doc does that...looking at the history, that behavior was
added in 2012 (commit 65478428443) because otherwise multi-line macros
are not handled properly.

Fixing this properly is not going to be all that easy; the code reading
the source file is well before any sort of parsing, so it has no idea of
whether it's in a comment or not.

A really ugly workaround... put something relatively inconspicuous, like
"     .", after the backslash, and at least your formatting won't be
mangled.

> Another question: Is there an linux-doc irc channel to ask simple
> questions?

I don't really do IRC, just don't have the spare attention span for it.
Feel free to email me anytime though.

jon