Re: docs: automarkup.py

On 12/28/23 08:22, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:20:05 -0800
> Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> Hi Vegard and Mauro,
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance.
>> (more below)

>>> I don't see that here, there is no warning and it renders properly.
>>>
>>> If you go on https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/abi-testing.html then
>>> it says 6.7.0-rc7 and (AFAICT) it also links/renders properly.
>>
>> Yes, I probably should have checked there earlier. :)
>>
>>> Maybe try building in a fresh clone/worktree just to verify there isn't
>>> some old file somewhere that didn't get cleaned out/updated?
>>
>> That does work but it made me suspicious.
>>
>> I was building in a kernel tree that was built from a tarball
>> and linux-next daily patches.  That leaves behind some *.orig files
>> (since I use 'patch -b' for "backups").
>>
>> If I remove the Documentation/ABI/*.orig files, there is no issue
>> like I had erroneously reported here.
>> Maybe get_abi.pl is (also) processing the *.orig files and that
>> somehow causes it to produce the confusing output.
>
> The logic which parse files at get_abi.pl is this one:
>
>     sub parse_abi {
>         my $file = $File::Find::name;
>
>         my $mode = (stat($file))[2];
>         return if ($mode & S_IFDIR);
>         return if ($file =~ m,/README,);
>
> Currently, it ignores just README and directories.
>
> It wouldn't be hard to add something like:
>
> 	return if ($file =~ m,/\.(rej|org|orig|bak)$,);

That didn't quite work as is. I changed it to this:

+       return if ($file =~ m,\.(rej|org|orig|bak)$,);

which works (dropping the leading "/").

> to ignore certain extensions. On such case, we would need to explicitly
> add the extensions to be Ignored.
>
> We could, instead, do a broader regex:
>
> 	return if ($file =~ m,/\.,);

That line is already present in the script, for skipping
hidden (dot) files.

It does not skip filenames like "papr_hcalls.orig" -- at least I
still see this problem when that line is present.

I wouldn't suggest skipping any file that has a '.' in its name.

> to ignore everything that would have a dot at the file name, but that
> could be problematic if we ever end adding files with extensions
> there.
>
> Regards,
> Mauro

Thanks.