Re: broken link in bpf/bpf_devel_QA

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:10:12AM -0700, Ross Zwisler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was checking out this page:
>
> https://docs.kernel.org/bpf/bpf_devel_QA.html
>
> and noticed that we have two links to .rst pages that are getting converted to
> links in different ways.  This one:
>
>   See the kernels selftest `Documentation/dev-tools/kselftest.rst`_
>   document for further documentation.
>
> is getting converted to a full external link:

>   href="https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/dev-tools/kselftest.html";>Documentation/dev-tools/kselftest.rst</a>
>   document for further documentation.</p>
>
> While this one:
>
>   Finally to ensure support for latest BPF Type Format features -
>   discussed in `Documentation/bpf/btf.rst`_
>
> Is left as a short local link to a nonexistent .rst page:

>   in <a class="reference external"
>   href="btf.rst">Documentation/bpf/btf.rst</a>
>
> <snipped>...
>
> Given that the page source for these two links are basically the same:
>
>  `Documentation/dev-tools/kselftest.rst`
>  and
>  `Documentation/bpf/btf.rst`
>
> I'm guessing this is an issue with how Sphinx is generating the resulting
> html, probably because it's trying to generate a more 'local' sort link for
> the btf.rst page?

I see that the issue is due to link handling when the external link
target is actually internal link sibling (i.e. the same level as doc where
the target is link from).

The fix is to simply use internal link mechanism. I will send the patch
as reply to this message shortly.

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara