Re: Documentation/process: Add Linux Kernel Contribution Maturity Model

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 04:14:36PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > The goal is to encourage, in a management-friendly way, companies to
> > allow their engineers to contribute with the upstream Linux Kernel
> > development community, so we can grow the "talent pipeline" for
> > contributors to become respected leaders, and eventually kernel
> > maintainers.
>
> These are noble goals. Also the bullet list is short, formal, and
> to the point. This is nice.
>
> I kind of side with Michael Tsirkin's point that quantitative
> measures of performance can be harmful or give a false impression
> of control. Consider this example:
>
> linux$ git log --oneline --author=Walleij |wc -l
> 4301
> linux$ git log --oneline --author=McKenney |wc -l
> 3346
>
> There is something about some code in the kernel being more
> "core" than others that needs to be taken into account, albeit
> it is maybe an elusive concept. There is a hierarchy from
> contributing syntactic changes to coding style to contributing
> and maintaining say RCU.

Don't forget reputation produced as a result of contributions from the
company as a whole. For example, cdjrlc.com is known for noisy "redundant
word"-stripping patches and ignoring critical community reviews; ZTE
with "atypical" corporate email setup for which Greg dislike; and Intel
which (as you may know) has positive legacy to the community with its
high-quality contributions.

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara