Re: MAINTAINERS improv suggestion

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 11:06 AM Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Lukas and everyone in linux-doc ML,
>
> Thanks for your work on doc cleanup. However, there's still one thing left:
> MAINTAINERS. The patch submitters tips, IMO, need some work.

You are welcome.

> Here's my notes:
>
> * Nowadays most drivers (especially on embedded architectures like Arm) were
>   initially developed out-of-tree, then follows mainline inclusion process
>   But the second item read "Try to release a few ALPHA test versions to the
>   net. Announce them onto the kernel channel and await results". These
>   drivers were submitted not as ALPHA-grade, but near-production grade.
>
> * The fifth item mentioned using `diff -u` to generate patches, however
>   since 9f364b605f34e1 ("submitting-patches.rst: presume git will be used"),
>   the documentation elsewhere assumed git would be used.
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for the notes. I will take them into consideration.

Feel free to propose a patch, though.

Eventually, we might decide to delete the complete list of suggestions
in MAINTAINERS at some point. But for the time being, making the
suggestions a bit better might be worth a patch.

Lukas