Re: Sphinx pre v3 -- removing support

>> From Sphinx's perspective, we'd like to remove long-deprecated code.
>> What is a good solution here for both sides? The intertial option is
>> for us to delay the deprecation by another major version (removal is
>> currently scheduled for Sphinx 6 (2023-05), and we are currently
>> releasing a major version every May.

> So, can we assume that there won't be any backward-incompatible
> behavior changes in Sphinx due to the removal of those long-deprecated
> code?

I'm referring to removing support for the "c_allow_pre_v3",
"c_warn_on_allowed_pre_v3", configuration options [1]_, and the
associated support for still parsing the pre v3 syntax in the C
domain [2]_. This means that pre v3 syntax in reStructuredText files
would not work with Sphinx 6 onwards.

> Or do you mean that after the release of Sphinx 6, pre v3 Sphinx
> will be removed in the PyPI repository?

No releases will be removed from PyPI, but if pre v3 syntax is still
used, Sphinx 6.0 would fail to properly parse it.

_[1]: https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html#confval-c_allow_pre_v3
_[2]: https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/restructuredtext/domains.html#the-c-domain