Re: Moving Documentation/ from plain text to MarkDown and ikiwiki

On 01/24/2013 06:51:19 PM, Richard Hartmann wrote:
Hi Rob,

my mail has been rejected as containing HTML subparts. I don't know why/how the detection barfed on my mail, but I won't by trial-and-erroring this
tonight.

Either way, this is just a heads up that you are the only recipient of this
email so far.

That's an issue for the vger admins.

I really do appreciate your interest, but I looked into this. It's hard enough to get people to write documentation as it is, lots of them don't speak english as their first language and even the ones that do write a beautiful git commit comment or 0/X patch series message, and then it never gets recorded except by knowing to dig for that in the git or mailing list archives.

We're already asking them to learn a javadoc format in the kernel, from which "make htmldocs" pulls. (And I really, really, really need to clean that up. I've been swamped over here and a bit put off by the insane lockdown of kernel.org accounts and the need to set up a git server to get anyone's attention.)

I honestly do not see how this markup format is supposed to help. I've known about asciidoc for years, this is apparently a http://xkcd.com/927/ of asciidoc.

Rob--