Moving Documentation/ from plain text to MarkDown and ikiwiki

Hi all,

this may sound crazy, but this idea has been floating around in my
head for years. I even had a branch somewhere where I started working
on this, but I can't seem to find it any more.

I am proposing to migrate Documentation/ from plain text to
MarkDown[1] and ikiwiki[2].

Let me split my rationale into two parts:

1) Why MarkDown:

MarkDown is relatively unobtrusive and will still look neat and
compact as plain text.

Yet, it easily compiles into various output formats and it imposes a
common style on all files.

Also, it's a lot easier to read as source than DocBook.

2) Why ikiwiki:

ikiwiki can generate static pages from MarkDown (and other) source
files which would make it easy to put a well-formatted, hyperlinked,
and  hierarchical version of the documentation onto any website.

It's important to note that ikiwiki does not require generated HTML or
anything to be checked into git. Not a single non-documentation file
would need to be maintained within Documentation/ .

Similar to MarkDown, ikiwiki would impose a certain structure, for
example more or less requiring

  input.mdwn

with a short explanation of what

  input/

contains and links to the various files in it.

There's precedent for inline ikiwiki documentation, the most popular
example being git-annex[3]. The whole website is maintained within
ikiwiki in a subdirectory named doc/ .
While this particular instance allows anonymous commits to doc/,
allows editing for anyone with an OpenID account and has a comment
function, none of this would need to be activated in this case, or at
least not the mainline kernel.

Obviously, if there's any significant interest in this, commits from a
potential world-editable wiki-style Documentation/ could be
cherry-picked back into mainline if mechanisms like Signed-off-by etc
are heeded.

I would appreciate honest (and, if need be, blunt) feedback on this.

If there is any interest in this endeavor I can see myself putting in
long-term effort and optionally co-maintaining Documentation/,
especially the parts concerning MarkDown and ikiwiki integration.

--
Richard

PS: An effort like this may also help weed out stale documentation.
For example Documentation/kernel-docs.txt refers to #kernelnewbies on
irc.openprojects.net; OPN has been renamed to freenode years ago and
the channel moved to OFTC years ago, as well.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown
[2] http://ikiwiki.info/
[3] http://git-annex.branchable.com/