Re: is there any resolution to "make htmldocs" not working with xhtml?

On 10/26/2012 03:32:44 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > On 10/25/2012 07:12:18 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > >   a while back, i asked about this:
> > >
> > > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-doc/msg05951.html
> > >
> > > is there a workaround for this, cuz it's kind of annoying that
> (at
> > > least on my ubuntu 12.10 system) you can't build the kernel
> htmldocs
> > > out of the box.  or am i missing something obvious?
> > >
> > > rday
> >
> > Sorry, my email was broken for ages and I just got it fixed
> > yesterday. Working through a massive backlog, which I'm reading in
> > reverse order.
> >
> > You linked to a message that linked to a blog post by lennart
> > pottering about converting man pages to html. I have no clue what
> > actual problem you're complaining about. I don't know what the
> > symptom of the failure is supposed to look like, and I don't know
> > what
> >
> > I just did a "make htmldocs" and several pages had errors but a
> > number of them built just fine. So a change to the build
> > infrastructure does what exactly?
>
>   on my ubuntu system, doing a regular "make htmldocs" when trying to
> generate xhtml (as the Doc/DocBook/Makefile does now) will generate
> html in which the function pages all have the function name in the
> synopsis starting with the string "fsfunc".  for example, with
> genericirq, i'm looking at a generated html page, and the synopsis
> reads (verbatim):
>
>   void fsfuncsynchronize_irq(unsigned int irq);
>
> *all* synopses have exactly that problem.

Ah, I've reproduced it. (Dreamhost apparently decided to reinstall my
server sometime since the 20th and the host key changed, so the rsync
of http://landley.net/kdocs/htmldocs/80211/API-wiphy-dev.html failed
and I was looking at the old file. My bad.)

The copy I have on loopback does show this bug, yes.

>   on the other hand, if i tweak the makefile to generate just regular
> html, then the pages are generated correctly.  so it's something to
> do with how "xmlto" generates xhtml that doesn't happen with regular
> html.

Switching the generator to html seems like the correct solution. I'll
forward it.

Thanks,

Rob--