Re: kernel-doc pdf generation

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 06:44:38PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andi reported 'make pdfdocs' problems in 2006.  I haven't been

You need a patched TeX with some enlarged limits. Or may
be it is just enough to tweak some configuration file. The
latest SUSE TeX rpm does that.

> able to use it since before that time.  (I use 'make htmldocs'
> mostly.)
>
> I see that opensuse has kernel-docbook pdf files available.
> Would someone from SUSE tell me how those are produced and
> if some patches are required?

Rudi maintains it I think (cc'ed)

I don't think there are patches to the kernel, but there
is some minor magic in the rpm spec file

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/src-oss/suse/src/kernel-docs-2.6.22.5-31.src.rpm

In particular I added some code to remove some pages I considered
not useful for an "outside" kernel developer. Perhaps doing that
would be a good idea for the mainline kernel too (or perhaps just
have different makefile targets). I don't think it is
very useful to have pages just describing 100% internal interfaces
of some driver for example. The kernel doc stuff should
rather contain widely used interfaces that are EXPORT_SYMBOLed.

-Andi